Re: [LAU] linuxsampler with jack2 (was Re: linuxsampler on 64 bit Ubuntu)

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 11:43:09 EEST

Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:22:47PM -1000, david wrote:
>> Robin Paulson wrote:
>>> can anyone answer this? given that linuxsampler relies on jack1, is it
>>> able to use jack2? is it only a matter of forcing the dependencies? or
>>> does ls need to be changed at the code level?
>>>
>>> alternatively, are there any wrappers which allow jack1 applications
>>> to use jack2?
>> Hmmm, I use JACK2 and haven't met any JACK1 apps that didn't work with
>> it, but I don't really do a lot of JACK apps if your talking about
>> things like JACK Rack, etc. And I don't have linuxsampler around. I
>> thought one of the folk on the list used linuxsampler with JACK for
>> their live sound?
>>

> That was me, probably among others as well.
>
> I replaced a Fluidsynth soundfont with a LinuxSampler one, and used it live for about 5 months. Worked great.
>
> However, I used jack1. It should work fine with jack2.
>
> The problem, AFAICT, is a Debian dependency cock-up. To build JACK apps, you need to have jackd-dev package installed to get the headers, etc. Well. jackd1-dev is probably (guessing here from a decade of Debian experience) dependent upon jack1. All good so far.
>
> Now, you install jack2. And you can't have jack2 and jack1 installed on the same machine. Great. So, now what? In order to install jack2, you have to remove jack1, which apt-get or aptitiude or whatever does for you. But, when you remove jack1, because jack1-dev is dependent upon jack1, then jack1-dev gets removed. And there apparently is no jack2-dev package. So, Bob's yer uncle, you now have no more header files! So you try to build JACK apps and the builds fail.
>
> I don't know what the proper solution would be because I'm not a Debian maintainer and I don't know what the standards are these days. I'd guess that there should either be a jack2-dev package, or there should be a jack-dev package that requires EITHER jack1 OR jack2, so that switching from one to the other doesn't wipe otu the dev package. Or maybe there needs to be some kind of meta-package in the middle, as there is occasionally.
>
> The place to file the bug, IMHO, is with the maintainer of the jack1-dev, jack1, and jack2 packages!

Yah. I had JACK1 here, removed it, installed JACK2. Didn't have any
problems compiling Yoshimi here with JACK support.

I don't find any jack-dev or jack2-dev package on my system. There IS a
package called libjack-dev with the same version number as the JACK
package. It says that it contains "files needed for the development of
JACK applications and an API reference." So I think you need libjack-dev
  to compile audio apps that depend on JACK when you have JACK2 installed.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden