[LAU] Switching the distro

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 13:55:23 EEST

Hi all :)

any recommendations for a distro?

It shouldn't ignore settings in xorg.conf.

It shouldn't use PulseAudio, or if it does use PulseAudio, then at least
it should be enough, if the user set up /usr/share/alsa/cards to be able
to use his audio card(s).

Not that important, but an advantage if this should work too, at least
the 32-bit version should be able to work with common proprietary 32-bit
apps such as lightscribe apps.

Less important are audio and MIDI repositories and kernel-rt, I will
build several apps and the kernel myself, but the environment to do this
should cause less or no issues.

For Suse I experienced that 32-bit apps as lightscribe are ok on a
64-bit install, but Suse has several disadvantages for my palate.

For Ubuntu I experienced that it has less to do with Linux anymore, the
reason why I'll switch to another distro. Don't get me wrong, I still
make only good experiences when using the Ubuntu Studio repositories,
but this isn't a help when the Ubuntu desktop is slow, the mouse doesn't
work properly, etc..

I've got a absolutely stable and MIDI jitter free Ubuntu MIDI and audio
worksattion, regarding to audio apps, but it was very time consuming to
set it up and until now even the mouse wheel isn't working. The same
mouse does work with Suse OOTB.

At the moment I still try to fix an Ubuntu Studio Natty install, but I
won't waste my time any longer.

Anyway, I prefer a .deb distro to a .rpm distro, but this isn't that
important. A distro where it's easy to get rid of PA without cheap
tricks would be cool.

Important is that I prefer PCI, PCIe, parallel port PS/2 to USB gear.

My favorite distro was 64 Studio.

I'll try to keep Ubuntu, as my distro, just for emergency cases I'm
looking for another distro. At the moment there are Suse 11.2 64-bit,
Edubuntu + Ubuntu Studio packages Maverick 32-bit and Ubuntu Studio +
Edubuntu packages Natty 64-bit on my machine installed. I prefer using
GNOME2.

My machine:

ASUS M2A-VM HDMI
NVIDIA 7200 GS (I could switch to an on-board ATI Radeon X1250-based
graphics, if this would be better when using a new distro)
4 GB RAM
SATA drives only
2 TerraTec EWX 24/96 (UPS didn't deliver a RME HDSPe AIO + ADAT device
last week, I should get it on Monday, but I'll keep the TerraTec cards
for MIDI)
A CTR-monitor, hence xorg.conf by default would be nice, not only
regarding to mouse issues.

Cheers!

Ralf