Re: [LAU] Switching the distro

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 01:30:22 EEST

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 13:19 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > Honestly, I just worry about prepackaged Linux, Suse, Ubuntu and others.
> > While Linux audio and MIDI becomes better and better, ready to go
> > 'desktop' Linux cause more and more pain. PulseAudio, no xorg.conf for
> > default installs etc.. If need be I could live with a vesa driver, but I
> > can't live without a working mouse wheel, as I've got for my two Ubuntu
> > installs. Suse 11.2 is very old and the mouse wheel is working. I also
> > don't like packages that run update-grub2, especially if it's done by
> > three packages, one after the other etc., but this starts to begin
> > OT ;).
> >
> > Time to get off-line and to install Debian ... I hope PPPoE won't force
> > me to download 8 DVDs. I'll now try the net-install.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Ralf
>
> I got interested a year ago about Ubuntu, tried it on an old Mac Mini
> I had here, and within about 2 days just junked it. The idea that
> maintenance is a sudo operation was really tiresome to me. It felt
> like Microsoft getting in the way of Linux. Someone else deciding how
> I should run my hardware.

Switching from sudo -i to su isn't an issue, but you're right regarding
to the hardware.

Right now I'm a little bit pissed off about Debian. I installed the
'Standard System utilities' by the net install CD. Booted into tty1,
logged in as root and tried to run pppoeconf, but it isn't installed. No
DHCP here, I'm the last dino!

Rebooted Ubuntu to download pppoeconf + dependencies, resp. to read the
web if there's another way to set up PPPoE and seemingly my xorg.conf
that worked until now is ignored, wrong screen resolution and
stroboscope frequenciy @ 59.8Hz vertically. Perhaps an GRUB issue? Even
if I couldn't see something in the strange grub.cfg regarding to his
trouble, anyway there're tons of grotesque entries.

I don't expect that after installing a new Linux, that my old installs
are 'broken', I guess they aren't really broken ;).

I call this the "iMicrosoft effect", I neither have any iThingy nor any
Microsoft stuff, but Linux distributions keeps me abreast of the times,
by emulating annoying, time-robbing problems :(. I take it with grim
sense of humor ;).

> [snip] Have fun with whatever you try next and I hope it works for you.

I'll stay at debian/debianoid.

Before I'll send this message, I'll edit Debian's grub.cfg and
reboot ...

Aha, after editing grub.cfg the way I edited it for Ubuntu, the screen
resolution is ok and the frequency is @ 89.9Hz. Perhaps it was broken by
random, perhaps caused by a bad grub.cfg. Anyway, at least the "submenu"
is ignored and there's a different behaviour regarding to splash
screens. I like to see messages.

Time to ask at debian-user@email-addr-hidden how to go on after
installing a standard system without X.

Cheers!