Re: [LAU] Is Debian testing for audio and MIDI already in good shape?

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 02 2011 - 11:16:46 EEST

On 06/02/2011 10:06 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 09:43 +0200, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>> On 06/02/2011 04:59 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> Repositories: All 'regular' Debian stable + debian-multimedia stable,
>>> excepted of Evolution + dependencies ;) (I could downgrade Evolution)
>>>
>>> Package: libslv2-dev
>>>
>>> Missing dependency.
>>>
>>> Caused by
>>>
>>> libgnutls-dev:
>>> Depends: libgnutls26 (=2.8.6-1) but 2.10.5-1+b1 is to be installed
>>>
>>> Hm?
>>>
>>> I guess I'll upgrade to testing ;). OTOH it's more important to have
>>> stable DAW. Does somebody use Debian testing for audio and MIDI?
>>>
>>> Should I avoid an upgrade?
>> I do use debian testing (not doing serious stuff these days though).
>> Debian testing is pretty stable, more stable then the latest Ubuntu
>> version in my experience. All though mixing stable with testing can
>> become a pain, mixing testing with unstable shouldn't give you much
>> troubles normally.
>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612
>>
>> The Debian Multimedia Team is doing most of the audio related packaging
>> for Debian.
>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia
>>
>> For the latest audio software, Arch Linux doesn't give you much more
>> compared to Debian testing/ unstable in my experience. An advantage of
>> Debian is that there are more packages available.
>>
>> Regards,
>> \r
> Thank you :)
>
> to bad that I used Evolution before. I only upgraded Evolution, because
> Evolution isn't able to import even Emails from another Evolution :(. I
> needed a workaround and it seems to be, that using equal versions of
> Evolution is the best I can do.
>
> I'll upgrade to testing. If it doesn't work as reliable as needed, then
> I will reinstall stable.
>
> Regarding to reliability (if one gets payed for audio engineering), I
> don't trust any OS, using any software (just a personal point of view, I
> know that this opinion can lead to academic discussion ;). For home
> recording IMO it isn't fatal, if from time to time an app should crash.
> I just wanted to ensure, that Debian testing already is in a good shape.
>
> For me it's the same, "not doing serious stuff these days though", so
> I'll be venturesome ;).
Which software is more stable, old or recent software? When it comes to
audio software, I am sure Debian Testing is more stable then Debian
Stable, especially when we're moving further in time from the release
date of Debian Stable.
An other approach is to backport from Testing/ Unstable to Stable. This
is what AVLinux and (in the future) OpenDAW does. I don't have
experience with that situation.

Regards,
\r