Re: [LAU] PITA: RME HDSPe AIO

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2011 - 14:12:13 EEST

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 11:32 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 10:27 AM, david wrote:
> > The last couple of Ubuntu releases have not included RT kernels because
> > Ubuntu thinks no one needs one.
>
> Hello David,
>
> This is not entirely true. The maintainer of the rt kernel package has
> decided to call it a day a while ago and no one stepped up. Ubuntu (as
> an entity part of Canonical) thinks nothing, it's the community that
> dropped the support for this package because no one within the community
> stepped up to take over maintaining the rt kernel package. The Ubuntu
> dev maintaining this package was in no way affiliated with Canonical, he
> was a volunteer, just like a lot of other package maintainers. So imho
> it was not the fact that pro-audio users are being routinely ignored
> that caused the rt kernel package to get dropped, the cause was the fact
> that none of those pro-audio users saw the need of keeping this package
> in the official repo's. And even if they did see it they were unwilling,
> incapable or simply too little in number to participate in maintaining it.
>
> Linux and pro-audio is really about finding your balance if you care
> about the Linux OS. Sometimes that is friggin hard because in the end
> you want to make some music, not test kernels.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

On Ubuntu Studio users and devel mailing list everybody can get a script
to build current kernel-rt for Maverick and Natty, 'maintained' by
me :p. But for good reasons I switched to Debian. If a 'Studio' distro
ships with PA, at least the sound card config files should be reedit to
work. AFAIK until now only one user build a kernel by my scrip, to get
rid of xruns, most people make professional recordings, in professional
audio studios, with extreme low latency, using PREEMPT kernels. The
Ubuntu Studio maintainers are using kernel-rt, but recommend everybody
to use a PREEMPT only kernel, because a kernel-rt shouldn't be needed.

Sarcastic? No! My mileage just varies. And to be fair! They will help
everybody who'll help Ubuntu Studio! E.g. send you hardware to make
tests.

So yes, they do good jobs, but Ubuntu Studio isn't a OOTB audio/MIDI
workstation yet.

!!!AND they wish to keep as close as possible to a regular Ubuntu.!!!
Keeping it as close as possible to Ubuntu is an issue for me.

2 Cents,

Ralf