Re: [LAU] PS: [OT] Kernel 2.6.39.1

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 02:01:02 EEST

> On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 23:25 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 22:50 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
>>> BTW. IIRC you should not use the -X... options for JACK-midi but rather
>>> use a2j instead. AFAIK there were/are [timing?] issues with the built-in
>>> JACK midi backends. (see Jeremy's workshop slides on how to launch a2j
>>> using qjackctl's "Execute Script" option.)

Well, actually this comment of mine is somewhat outdated. Sorry.

jackd2's -Xalsarawmidi is indeed a very good. I'm not up-to-date with
current jack1 and tschak implementations of JACK-MIDI backends. There
were issues in the past. Those might be resolved now.
Nevertheless, a2jmidid is a good solution for all versions of JACK.

>>> HTH,
>>> robin
>>
>> Yesno! Perhaps it's better to avoid -Xseq, but I'm using JACK2 from svn
>> with -Xalsarawmidi + a2jmidi_bridge to get a jitter free hw MIDI output
>> of Qtractor's ALSA MIDI. I don't believe latency tests,

There's no need to _believe_ proper measurements. They're accurate
within systematic and random error components.

>> but I believe
>> what I hear and what I see for the waveforms. No jitter! Before Jack2
>> from svn I experienced 1 - 3 ms jitter for hw MIDI (ALSA), depending to
>> the used MIDI interface, I can't make music even with 1ms jitter, I'm
>> able to hear this, see the following from jack devel list:
>> [..]
>> On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 03:54 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Similar good results as before :)

Now that's good news.

Cheers!
robin