Re: [LAU] rt kernels

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 11:02:02 EEST

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 10:27 AM, david wrote:
>
>> The last couple of Ubuntu releases have not included RT kernels because
>> Ubuntu thinks no one needs one.
>
> more likely, the latest ubuntu releases were based on kernels newer than
> the latest available rt tree, which creates a very complicated situation
> for distro maintainers.
>
> with 2.6.39, most of the former rt patchset is now in mainline, and the
> big kernel lock is gone for good. that means the situation should
> improve a lot, and ease the burdon on maintainers of low-latency
> optimized packages.

Well, my experience with non-RT kernels is that on my hardware, they are
not sufficient for real audio use. I just upgraded my desktop machine to
2.6.39, will see how it goes. Audio works, didn't stress it much. Of
course, for some reason, it has decided that my 17" 1280x1024 monitor
only runs 1024x768 at 60hz ... sigh.

--
David
gnome@hawaii.rr.com