[LAU] OT: Overvoltage protection aginst lightning for audio studios

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 17:39:49 EEST

Sorry, this is OT regarding to Linux, but not for audio in general and
perhaps it could protect some people from the list against a popular
misconception about lightning protection.

Does somebody know how (in)effectively overvoltage protections for wall
sockets in pre-WWII residential buildings are? I suspect that were I
live, will be no pre-protections. It seems to be that a concrete-footing
ground electrode and ground fault interrupter were the only things that
were retrofitted and btw. I'm even not sure if the concrete-footing
ground electrode isn't just a fake.

AFAIK know consumer wall socket overvoltage protections are completely
useless, when living in a pre-WWII residential building.

Does anybody know if there's a way to protect equipment against damages
by lightning when there are no pre-protections?

Regards,

Ralf