Re: [LAU] OT: Overvoltage protection aginst lightning for audio studios

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 20:50:27 EEST

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 19:26 +0200, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> 2011/6/10 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>:
> >
> > IIUC houses that were build after the second world war should be
> > pre-protected, but houses that are older could be without any
> > pre-protection. The later a house was build, the better the
> > pre-protection and without pre-protection as far as I understand, those
> > devices are completely useless.
> >

> How do the safety connectors work ?
> AFAICT they separate the equipment from the over-voltage source.
> Supposing this happens fast enough and the separation is high-voltage save,
> how should an over-voltage still be able to harm your equipment ?
> I would conclude: It can't.
>

> > 'Perhaps' next week or so, I'll do some more research.
> >
> Let's know, if you figure out.

For all German readers:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cberspannungsschutz

For English readers:
One major issue is that those protections simply discharge against the
protective earthing conductor. An overvoltage caused by a lightning
comes with high voltage and a very quick pulse. I guess this at first is
relevant regarding to the issue, I guess strength of electric current
isn't that relevant. The discharging might not be able to really
discharge.

The web page that gives information currently isn't available:

http://www.dke.de/de/Service/Installationstechnik/Seiten/Errichtungsnormenf%C3%BCr%C3%9Cberspannung-Schutzeinrichtungen.aspx

Again, I don't have knowledge, but it seems to be a mojo does protect as
good as a 'usual' lightning protection does.

Regards,

Ralf