Re: [LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

From: James Warden <warjamy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 12 2011 - 11:21:04 EEST

--- On Sun, 6/12/11, Aaron Krister Johnson <aaron@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

From: Aaron Krister Johnson <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Subject: [LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!
To: "Linux-audio-user" <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 3:40 AM

Hi all--
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this:
I'm considering purchasing PianoTeq, but I wanted to try the demo. It seems to work better with just the alsa driver than it does with jack, a reversal of the usual situation.

I tested this several times by playing fast glissandi on the default piano preset. Each time, my little EEE-PC netbook under jack choked with xruns and a brief silence while PianoTeq 'reset' itself, but Alsa alone chugged away with no xruns unless there was an extreme amount of load....

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this. It seems odd, especially since the jack developers claim jack adds no latency by itself to the picture in any situation---so, do we have a situation where the code is better written for the alsa driver than for jackd? It seems we do, in this case....

Best,AKJ

Hi,
I am not familiar with your h/w but I am quite sure some ppl on the Pianoteq forums are using the same. Did you browse these forums ?

J.