Re: [LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

From: Igor Brkic <igor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 12 2011 - 15:15:57 EEST

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Aaron Krister Johnson
<aaron@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> <snip>
> I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this. It seems odd, especially since
> the jack developers claim jack adds no latency by itself to the picture in
> any situation---so, do we have a situation where the code is better written
> for the alsa driver than for jackd? It seems we do, in this case....
> Best,
> AKJ

JACK adds no latency but it adds a bit more CPU usage. Nothing too
much to be noticed on fast CPUs but if you are very limited with
resources it is very noticable (on my old EEE704 I can run Pianoteq
with alsa and using Rhody patch almost normally but with JACK it won't
do. On my Core2Duo I can't even see difference in CPU usage between
JACK and alsa).

Cheers!
Igor