Re: [LAU] 2.6.39.1 threadirqs vs. the rest: some numbers

From: S C Rigler <riglersc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 14:39:54 EEST

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Unless I have done something wrong, it looks like we have a long way to go
> with regards to scheduling latency in anything other than 2.6.33 + rt
> patches. But, with threaded irqs in 2.6.39 maybe the performance with audio
> applications running under jack will be good anyway as we will be able to
> tune irq processing. Seems to me unlikely. I have not tested that yet.

I have been running 2.6.39 on a Toshiba A505 laptop with the
proprietary Nvidia driver for a couple of weeks and it has worked
decently for me. The main issues I've had have been mainly related to
the new firewire stack but I'm not sure if that's because I use a
"reported to work" Maudio Firewire Solo or because of issues directly
related to the new kernel. Otherwise, when the firewire isn't blowing
up, I get no xruns and things seem to work about as well as they did
with 2.6.33 + rt.

--Steve