Re: [LAU] RME analog out of phase to ADAT connected Behringer analog out

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 15 2011 - 00:06:41 EEST

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 03:23:47PM +0200, Cedric Roux wrote:

> I liked the very end, about adding an EQ to a (as far as I understood)
> cheap microphone and get the same sound than a more expensive one.
> Funny.

It's true, as long as we talking about just on-axis FR differences.

What sets a quality mic apart are things like

- noise level,
- off-axis frequency response,
- absence of FR errors that can't be EQ'd easily,
  e.g. high-Q resonances,
- RFI rejection,
- quality of construction and materials,
- accurate and complete specs.

The first two really matter when a mic is not used for a single
instrument or voice, but for a complete orchestra, ensemble or
section of an orchestra.

Consider a mic used as part of e.g. an ORTF stereo pair for
a classical music recording. It has to pick up the complete
orchestra plus room sound - from all directions, not just
front - with the same good frequency response. Levels can
be easily more than 60 dB down compared to what's seen
by a solo mic. For this sort of thing you need the star
names.

For once I'd agree with Ralf that there are some things you
can't fix with EQ.

> (I don't claim expensive mikes are useless, it's all about noise
> at this point I guess, for what I understand about this business...)
> Anyway, thanks for this link, it was very instructive.

Yes, some good myth-busting.

Ciao,

--
FA