Re: [LAU] Is this the band Sky? Was: Text-based sound visualisation? Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 52, Issue 32

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Jun 23 2011 - 02:05:59 EEST

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 00:20 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> I'm not too bothered by tunings at all, since I don't have absolute hearing.

I'm far away of having absolute hearing. I don't have it too. The funny
thing is, that a lot of classical recordings IMO are to muddy, even
while the tuning is higher than 440 Hz.

I guess the tuning became higher and higher to avoid a muddy sound, IMO
a step in the wrong direction, since it became much to high, very
audible even when being far away of absolute hearing.

I don't listen to classical live music, I very seldom listen to
classical recordings, but at least for recordings I would prefer 440 Hz
or even lower and adding more brilliance by engineering, instead of
tunings > 440 Hz. Again, I'm a child from the 80's, generation x, drop
the guitar's e to d (Baroque ;) and give the sound brilliance by using
the bridge pick up. Unfortunately violins don't have different pick
ups ;).

Paradox, since I guess classical music shouldn't be mixed as pop music
should be mixed.

Hehe, not my problem, since I'm a pop and not a classical musician :).

Btw. I like the temperament for guitars by the Boss TU-12H, IIRC Fmit or
another Linux tuner is close to my taste too. I guess a piano tuned by
those tuners would sound disgusting, but I might be mistaken.

But anyway, it's hard to tune without having a reference point, such as
a tuning fork. But I guess we are able to recognise the character of a
tuning. Btw. without a reference point a guitarist will be able to tune
the guitar within +- one half step, regarding to the traction of the
strings. We might not be able to hear it, but we feel the traction of
the strings.