Re: [LAU] Karajan (Was: Is this the band Sky? Was: Text-based sound visualisation? Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 52, Issue 32)

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 23 2011 - 12:54:50 EEST

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 08:06:46AM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> I don't like my recording of Haydns "Die Jahreszeiten" (en:
> "The seasons") conducted by Sigiswald Kuijken. But the main reason for this is
> the audio engineer that mixed the second with to much dynamic range and to
> much headroom => its not loud enough for most listening environments...

Turn up the volume...

Could you make a cdda copy of it an run it through ebur128 ?
I'm quite curious for the results...

Directors such as Kuijken tend to respect the composer's
indications for dynamics.

Most of my training and experience is for live radio broadcast
where you have to apply some reduction in most cases. But in
general I try to keep as much of the natural dynamic range as
possible - it is part of what the composer intended.

Last tuesday I recorded a concert by La Stagione Armonica,
performing madrigals by Adriano Banchieri (around 1600).
15 singers, 5 flutes (one of them a double bass, 2 meters
high), and an actor. Many of Banchieri's music is quite
theatrical, and with the acted parts in between the songs
you get a dynamic range that is much wider than it would
be for just the madrigals. You can reduce that a bit, but
overdoing it just kills the whole atmosphere of the
performance. I ended up with an LRA (loudness range) of
around 20 dB, and an average loudness just on spot, with
0.9 dB of headroom left.

Ciao,

--
FA