Re: [LAU] LV2 synths for Ardour 3?

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 27 2011 - 04:15:29 EEST

On 06/27/2011 01:34 AM, allcoms wrote:
> Hi Leigh!
>
>> Hopefully that's not too big a problem in Ardour 3 -- its automation
>> framework does a fine job of automating plugin parameters without those
>> plugins having to expose them as MIDI CCs. I already have a track in the
>> works using Calf Monosynth with automation controlling the filter cutoff,
>> for instance.
>
> Thats great to hear, obviously you know something I don't. Can you
> automate any parameter under monosynth? Calf organ too? How?

You can automate any parameter that the plugin exposes as an LV2 control
port, which for most plugins is all of them. Ardour 2 had these
automation features for effects plugins (LV2 and LADSPA), so having them
apply to LV2 synths is just a natural extension of that.

Here's a quick crash course in setting up a MIDI track with some plugin
automation, using Calf Monosynth as the example:

1) Create a MIDI track, and add Calf Monosynth to it
2) Add some notes
3) Click the "a" button on the track to open the Automation drop-down
4) Select Plugins/Calf Monosynth/Cutoff. An automation lane should
appear below your track
5) In the automation lane, click on "Manual" and change this to "Play"
6) Click within the automation lane to add some control points; they'll
be joined by a line, which is the curve the automation will follow.
7) Create and adjust the control points until you get the curve you're
after. You'll probably have to increase the height of the automation
lane to get finer control over the control point values.
8) Play the track, and watch and listen as the synth's cutoff frequency
follows the automation curve

Some synths may not like having their parameters changed in realtime
like this, but it definitely works well for the above case, and I'd
imagine most other parameters in Calf Monosynth and Calf Organ will be
fine with automation, too.

Thanks
Leigh