Re: [LAU] controlling a synth with your voice?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2011 - 22:30:11 EEST

On 06/30/2011 08:38 PM, Alessandro Preziosi (licnep) wrote:
> I was thinking about something like this:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-licD-N1uI&t=2m20s
Aah Goldfrapp, I almost forgot about them..

> Is it possible to recreate something like that in linux, all on the
> software side?

sure - basically you want pitch-detection of the audio-input (and maybe
envelope/volume). Just getting a single pitch (base-freq) is not too hard.

You can use the 'fiddle~' or 'sigmund~' ugens of Pure-data.

[There's also code floating around in various languages that do similar
(eg. zita-at1 in C), or various filters that you could hook together..,
but Pd is probably the easiest to start with. Once you have the
frequency, just convert it into a MIDI message or feed it into a synth.]

It's easy enough: just open the 'fiddle~' help in pure-data and connect
an 'adc~' to the 'fiddle~' input. The first output (printed to console
in the help-example) shows the detected midi-pitch.

> Or, if there are hardware solutions for this, does anyone know one?
> I'm totally new to this, but it seems innteresting, i'd like to
> experiment with it,
>
> bye,
> Al

Well, if you're new to this; maybe start at
http://en.flossmanuals.net/puredata/

If you're lost I could whip up a simple example Pd-patch. or just ask
follow-up questions on the list...

have fun,
robin