Re: [LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

From: Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 07 2011 - 13:02:27 EEST

On 07/07/2011 11:08 AM, Renato wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:36:49 +0200
> Arve Barsnes<arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7 July 2011 10:06, Alexandre Prokoudine
>> <alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> They use hardware rigs. I'm quite serious.
>>>
>> Indeed. Ideally, the computer should not be responsible for any
>> guitar effects.
>
> why?
>
> renato

I'd like to know too. I know albums where the guitars are all running
through NI Guitar Rig for example.
I'm perfectly ok with Guitarix, Rakarrack, linuxDSP, Calf and the likes,
I can get pretty decent sounds out of it. What I normally do is to
record the clean guitar track while it does run through the desired
effects before it goes to my headphones/monitors. Like this you record
the guitar track with the right feel but you still have the possibility
to play around with it afterwards. For serious studio work I'd prefer
valve amps with decent speaker cabinets or valve combo's but for
homerecording using the computer to process your guitar is a good option
I think.

Best,

Jeremy