Re: [LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

From: robert lazarski <robertlazarski@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 07 2011 - 13:19:49 EEST

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Dale Powell <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> The only difference is that you can push hard on the box with your
>> foot while you play live.
>>

> Disagree! Effects pedals and the like have almost no round-trip latency
> (through soundcard, to the processor, and back for monitoring) and usually a
> much lower processing time (especially if they are analogue!) both of which
> are very important points when you are listening to the effected path while
> playing.

While I play hardware synths, I do have 3 moog analogue pedals -
delay, phaser and the 'murf' . The moog pedals are for guitars too, of
course. I don't use computers for music much because I get too much of
that at work already. I did try it and didn't like it, though I still
use audactiy and rosegarden occasionally. But besides the setup,
constant upgrade, and latency issues ... my ears can definitely hear
the difference between analogue and digital effects. The same thing
for analogue vs synths too. And mixers. Besides that, I just like
knobs better. More expensive? Absolutely. Worth it? It is enough for
me to sacrifice other things, like cars etc. YMMV.