Re: [LAU] Question about plugin 1970 (EQ)

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 08 2011 - 13:42:06 EEST

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 09:53:38PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> While we're on the subject, the default center frequencies
> Nama uses for this plugin in a mastering chain are currently:
>
> 40 Hz, 200 Hz, 600 Hz, 3300 Hz
>
> The plugin defaults are:
>
> 100 Hz, 200 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz

No, for the frequency controls the defaults are the middle of the
range, that is: 200, 400, 1k, 2k Hz.

> What would be reasonable defaults for mastering?

If you'd use the first and last section as LF and HF shelf filters
they would be at e.g. 20..40 Hz and 10..20 kHz, maybe with the BW
increased a bit.

But it makes not sense to have defaults for the frequencies any more
than for the gains, just set them to what is required. If you get
some experience as a sound engineer you will learn the 'typical' EQ
frequencies for single instruments or voices, and this will enable
you to set an EQ much faster than without that experience. But for
mastering you just have to listen and find out.

Ciao,

--
FA