Re: [LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 10 2011 - 13:31:49 EEST

2011/7/7 Roberto Suárez Soto <talkingxouba@email-addr-hidden>:
> Hi,
>     I usually try to record electric guitars with minimal effects (i.e.,
> only distortion or a bit of reverb), and later add them in the mixing
> process. But, though that may make sense recording-wise to achieve a good
> sound, it's not the same with regards to playing. For example: if I want to
> know how something sounds with delay, or chorus, or flanger, or whatever, I
> like to play with it (using my guitar's preamp effects). It's more inspiring
> to do so, if you know what I mean.
>     So, what do the real pros (that'd be you ;-)) do? My first thought is to
> "prototype" using the preamp's effects, and once I have a good idea of what
> I need, record "clean" and apply effects in Ardour. But that sounds like a
> lot of work; and before doing it, I'd rather ask if there's some shortcut.
>     Thanks in advance.
>
> --
>         Roberto Suárez Soto

For me, I record with all the effects on as I just want what I hear to
be on the recording. The way you play changes depending on the effect
you have on, and you'll change your phrasing depending. The 3 knob
reverb on my fantastically lovely supro amp totally changes how I
play.

Every time I think about recording set up and tech I remember:

http://westtownrecording.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/shitty11.pdf
http://westtownrecording.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/shitty2.pdf

The daptone info. Buy the cheapest crappiest mic you can find :) There
albums sound good to me!

Loki