Re: [LAU] About Algorithms

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 20 2011 - 00:57:35 EEST

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I agree with all this; my point is that it would possible, since a DAW
> is a software version of a mixer AND tape deck, to model some of that
> "magic" in the mixer.
>
> When you connect a multi-track tape deck's outputs to the track inputs
> of a mixing desk, don't the signals pass through all that complex
> processing?  Therefore, a plausible DAW implementation could attempt
> to do something more than A+B=C.
>
> Again, I don't claim that any DAW does this.  I'm just surprised at

there are plugins (typically called "channel strips") that try to do
this. and there is mixbus, which definitely tries to do this (though
not in the "analog modelling the entire channel strip" way that some
rather silly commentators on some online forums think it does). there
is also "record" (now bundled into reason) which is similar (but
modelled on an SSL console rather than a Harrison one).

> how adamantly people sound like they're saying it's not even possible.

anybody who is saying they are not even possible in theory is an
idiot. there is, however, the practical issue of how much money you
want to put into understanding the behaviour of an analog circuit and
then the equally practical issue of how many CPU cycles you are
willing to devote to emulating that behaviour. both act as a bit of
damper on doing this in real life, but not to the point of making it
"impossible" (or even close to that).