[LAU] In praise of AVLinux

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 02 2011 - 08:01:50 EEST

I really like AVLinux and I want to thank everyone on here who's been recommending it to various people for a long time.

It's a Debian remix, basically, so I'm right at home. It's solid and it has everything I need, plus it's easy to bring in the straight Debian repositories so I can put on it whatever I'm used to from Debian-land.

I'm now using it on my own studio machine, and I set it up for a customer in a relatively very short time, got him up and running on an old PC with no hassles. The RT kernels from the AVLinux website worked; no tweezing required, no kernel compilation required. The docs are good. And there are nifty non-audio extras there like a whole choice of video editors, so I dipped my toes into video editing a little bit, which was fun.

All in all, hooray for AVLinux, I'm impressed.

-ken