Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 12:27:54 EEST

>> Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 11:02:26 +0200
>> Subject: Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?
>> From: pshirkey@email-addr-hidden
>> To: simta@email-addr-hidden
>> CC: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden

>> > as good as JACK is, it's a little bit of a red herring.
>> >
>> > JACK needs to be as good as it is for any linux audio to be
>> worthwhile.
>> > when you have lots of things doing seperate jobs then yes you need
>> > something like JACK to be able to deal with it all.
>> >
>> > proprietary music software such as cubase/ableton live/protools
>> doesn't
>> > need anything like that. pretty much everything needed to work is
>> > available inside the main program or as a plugin opened inside the
>> main
>> > program. for anything else rewire suffices and rewire is a hell of a
>> lot
>> > easier to deal with than JACK, open the master program first then the
>> > slave and rewire is automatically engaged and routing audio/midi
>> between
>> > both programs is available in the same way you would route tracks
>> inside
>> > the program.
>> >
>> > so if you have someone used to being able to work in such a way then
>> > they're going to find it very hard to adjust to a very different way
>> of
>> > working.
>> >
>> > time spent learning a whole new way of working could potentially kill
>> any
>> > inspiration you have.
>>

>> And if it is not intuitive for you then you might not want to learn how
>> use it anyway. But that would change if Timberland or Kanye went on
>> record
>> to say they had used xxx software to get that special sound in their
>> latest album. Highly unlikely though as they tend to use hardware
>> anyway.
>>
>> If a couple of big name DJ's started touring with Linux systems that
>> might
>> make some people think twice.
>>

>> --
>> Patrick Shirkey
>> Boost Hardware Ltd
>>

> timbo+kanye both use plenty of software in their music. there aren't very
> many artists on major labels that are all hardware guys. it is probably
> true that if you paid kanye lots of cash to big up ardour then yeah lots
> of people would go give it a go, whether they would stay with it or not is
> a different matter.
>
> as for the dj's, well you'd be dragging them back into the stone age to
> give them linux systems to tour with, some of the latest advances are
> mindblowing. serato and ableton have created something called the bridge
> so that whilst using the digital vinyl control system of serato you can
> also use that to control music clips within ableton. so a loop you just
> created can be controlled with vinyl and mixed into any pre-existing
> [...]

It's one thing to pay for celeb endorsements but it's another for genuine
innovation to be achieved by people with technical creativity using lInux
tools. If a couple of people started to get somewhere with the latter and
make some decent cash out of it then people would be drawn in.

You can already do some amazing stuff with the tools that we have
available. But they are not as pretty as the proprietary solutions and
require more technical prowess which tends to put off the less technical
minded producers and artists who just want to make money looking cool
while they do it.

So far no one round here has managed to provide a solution that adequately
adresses that mind set. The justice plugins get close but they are not a
complete production environment.

People are working on the problem though but as time and money are short
these days it is not progressing very fast at the moment and in general is
low on the list of priorities for most devs who want to scratch their own
itch not someone else's.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd