Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 12:59:57 EEST

Sorry, forgot to post to list.

On 3 August 2011 10:26, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM, James Morris wrote:
>
>> Developers should develop software, end of.
>
> In an imaginary perfect world where there is no pain and death :)
>
>> A lot of free software is developed on a voluntary basis, because the
>> developer wants to, not because they're paid.
>
> Exactly. There is no rule that works for everyone.
>
>> You have no right to tell these developers it is their job to go chasing
>> government contracts.
>
> I think you got it entirely wrong. I was appealing to people who want
> to make a change.

Does "That means quitting the dangerous `I'm just a programmer'
attitude" really sound like an appeal to people in general to you?

Is it not surprising I instead interpreted it as a dig directed at
developers, insinuating them to be insular and stubborn?

(Which some of them probably are, but that's not surprising
considering the existence of bloggers).

> I'm all for getting all sorts of professionals involved, but here and
> now if we want to get anything done and we can't find people who are
> better at design, usability and marketing than us, then we can either
> keep moaning or bloody well study the stuff the best we can.

Fine, just don't take digs at developers who would rather develop
software. Believe it or not, many developers

> Do you think usability architects focus on just usability? No, they
> study every-fucking-thing that is even remotely related to human
> beings and the world around us: art, architecture. physics etc.

Well let's all hail the new saviours! My, how big their brains must be!

>> Such activities are much better suited to people with big strong forceful
>> opinionated personalities such as yourself.
>
> Me? No, I'm as humble as a lamb :)

So you don't want to help developers by chasing government contracts for them?