Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 13:44:46 EEST

On 04/08/11 18:23, James Morris wrote:
> And there's the precarious nature of government based funding to
> consider. See what's happening to education in the UK. Government and
> council cuts everywhere.

Corporate funding is just as precarious, so is selling a product.

It depends on what you are trying to do. In some areas public funding can be the
most, or only, viable way. For some things selling a packaged product to
customers is a possible choice. Sometimes just doing it with whatever resources
you can gather, plus a big dose of personal effort and passion can get amazing
things done.

In some countries we are certainly voting consistently to reduce publicly funded
activities. Our societies will lose some very worthwhile things because of this,
but fortunately this habit is not universal, and not irreversible.

Other countries are supporting education and culture publicly, and those that
don't may change their collective mind in the future.

Simon