Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Aurélien Leblond <blablack@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 22:39:58 EEST

> My question/answer:   "How much are you willing to do to make it happen?"

Well I'm not exactly sure anymore to be honest, I didn't think my
message would start such a rant!

But after reading all the answered, two things seem to stand out:
1. A lot of the FOSS music software are not for the general public. I
wouldn't agree myself (I mean, Ardour, Hydrogen or Yoshimi are as
straight forward as a music software can be)... And for that, nothing
much I/we can do but participate to the code (which I do when I can),
make donations (which I do every year), provide feedback, provide bug
reports, etc, etc, etc...
And obvisouly use the software and produce some tunes! Which I do too:
http://soundcloud.com/a-violent-whisper
(Although now I realise that nowhere I say that it's completely
recorded/produced with only FOSS softwares!)

2. More interrestingly, the "appeal to famous artists" didn't seem to
be well received... What seems to come out though is that although the
FOSS community seems to be good to produce software, we don't seem to
be good at advertising it :)
- Ardour has...49 followers on facebook... Nothing on the wall...
- Hydrogen...94...and one entry on the wall...
- Couldn't find a # tag for any of these on Twitter...

I know I know, we are not advertisers, we are developers!
But what if a small group of us (and yeah, including me :)) would do that?

How do we go about that? We have loads of website/tools to share code
and software (sourceforge, svn, git, etc..), but none to organise
ourself into a community to create some kind of organised campagn of
advertisement on social networks (or other tools)!

What I have in mind is what was done by ThisOneIsOnUs... what they did
for their production is exacty what we do every day for FOSS
software...

Any ideas?