Re: [LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 05 2011 - 14:31:56 EEST

On 08/05/2011 01:18 PM, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM, rosea grammostola
> <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden <mailto:rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>
> To become a veteran you have to become a newbie first. When we put
> LinuxMusicians.com on air, we got the same replies. But I think
> LinuxMusicians.com has proven to be a nice starting platform for
> newbies who explore the possibilities of Linuxaudio. For some it's
> a nice pre-step for the LAU mailinglist.
>
> I think we could do both. Helping newbies and turning people into
> veteran linuxaudio guys. But both aims needs a different approach.
>

> True, and I'm all in for making the learning curve less steep, but
> rebranding things with names that are unassociated with them is IMO
> totally the wrong way to go.
>
> Don't hit people getting intrested with all the terminology, only use
> words that they will probably understand, I get it. But calling it
> something that its not *just so people will like it* is plain silly IMO.

I am not saying that we should use words which does describe what it is
in a wrong way... But that's not the case here imo.
A problem with the word OpenSource could make it harder to tweet about
Harrison Mixbus for instance though :) And those pieces of software
might be especially interesting for newbies...

Btw it wouldn't be a bad idea to also pay attention to OpenSource
software on Windows and Mac imo (Audacity, LinuxSampler etc.)

\r