Re: [LAU] Subject=Re: community pages

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 05 2011 - 18:43:57 EEST

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:05:32 +0200
Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@autostatic.com> wrote:

> Centralization would be a good thing I think, information is now too
> scattered. It would be very nice if there would be a single portal
> site that would contain at least links to all the relevant
> information. Only... this is a huge task I fear. And we'd need a good
> CMS for that with a ditto good CSS template. And as Patrick pointed
> out regarding a centralized account, it also needs a name, personally
> I think LinuxAudio.org is the right place for such a site (if only
> because it's a self-maintained site, so not hosted by a commercial
> hosting service). I'm not very much in favor of widening the scope to
> all open source audio related information, that would drastically
> increase the workload for those maintaining such a site.

I think this is a good point - for this whole thing to not become too
disperse and hard to maintain by a few persons in their spare time, it
has to be very focused. If the intent is to pubblicize and help
migration of audio users to linux systems, I think the focus should be
kept on few bigger applications - ardour, hydrogen and then some else -
that provide a basic, solid, all round setup for a new user. A
working setup should be provided/documented very well for those - then
if someone wants to experiment more, he'll find by himself seq24 and
ams - for example.

Also this would maybe help the ethical issue of rebranding that Harry
is posing (if I understood it right) - rebranding and pubblicization
efforts would only be spent on the bigger apps, while smaller ones
which have a small team of devs (or just one in many cases) wouldn't be
burdened by this, while still having the benefits of a larger user
base.

my 2ยข ;)

renato