Re: [LAU] Aptosid & Debian music distributions => AVLinux recommended

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 05 2011 - 19:51:38 EEST

Edward Diehl wrote:
> There have been several recent posts concerning adapting Aptosid for
> music production, which did not sound to promising to me. If you want
> a Debian-based Linux music distro, use AVLinux which runs tons of Linux
> music apts out of the box, comes with a RT kernel (even 3.0 is
> available), supports nearly any interface which can be supported in
> Linux (e.g. firewire devices, using the "new stack").

Aptosid has all of that, too, including the 3.0 RT kernel.

> IMHO is far easier to carve out a 20 GB partition and put AVLinux on it,
> than to take a "generic" Linux distro and customize for music
> production. You can still boot into your preferred distro/OS for other
> tasks, though, you can still install any application you want from
> Debian repos in AVLinux, so it works fine as a general purpose distro,
> too.

Customization of aptosid for music/graphics was very easy for me. Just
installed the basic system, then installed the apps I wanted. Didn't
take much work at all. Particularly vs Gentoo.

Not complaining about AVLinux, but sometimes this kind of thing comes
off as pushy advertising. The most success I've had with dedicated music
distros along the lines of "It just works" is the last Musix 2.0 beta.
I've tried some recommended audio distros here that wouldn't even boot
on my hardware.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden