Re: [LAU] Aptosid & Debian music distributions => AVLinux recommended

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2011 - 10:03:18 EEST

hermann wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 05.08.2011, 06:51 -1000 schrieb david:
>> Aptosid has all of that, too, including the 3.0 RT kernel.
>
> Again, that is not true, you can install a rt-kernel to aptosid simply
> with apt-get, but AFAIK it isn't a aptosid kernel (a big diff in the
> applied patchs). It is a debian kernel with the debian patch set
> applied.
> The same was true before the rt kernel slips into debian, before that
> you could simply install a pengutronix kernel for example.

I tried that (Pengutronix) kernel. Wouldn't boot at all. I'm not
bothering with their kernels again.

> The AV-linux rt kernel indeed is special designed for AV-linux.

Could be, I liked what I saw when it finally booted. (Although it's odd
that the live DVD tries to mount the home partition on musicbox but
fails with only a helpful display listing how to mount a partition.) But
I also like ArtistX, the last Musix 2 beta, and am quite comfortable
taking a non-audio distro and setting it up to do what I want to do in
terms of audio.

Well, just tried to use AVLinux 5.0.1 with my USB soundcard, and JACK
crashed on startup when I try to run 16msec latency. It will run at
32msec latency. Probably the lack of an RT kernel in the live DVD.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden