Re: [LAU] rt audio with kernel 3.0 - looking good

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 09 2011 - 22:03:12 EEST

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just upgraded to kernel 3.0 on my arch laptop. It's just the stock
> kernel from the arch repos...
>
> atte@vestbjerg:~$ uname -r
> 3.0-ARCH
>
> Quick tests suggests that realtime audio works quite a bit better than
> on 2.6.38 (I think it was before). I can run at 2ms latency without
> xruns if only using renoise and 4ms without xruns while loading the cpu
> with 2 heavy video file conversions (ffmpeg). Before I even got
> occasional xruns at 8ms latency while using only renoise.
>
> This is with my FA66 firewire interface on an 2.0Ghz dualcore laptop @
> 48000hz (64 frames/buffer and 3 periods/buffer).
>
> Does others have similar positive experiences?

My brief experience with Kernel 3.0 came with the discovery that it
doesn't support the NV video driver, and the Nouveau driver didn't work,
so my NVidia 6150SE stopped giving me anything better than 1024x768. I
installed the binary NVidia driver instead, but it's not properly
supporting the video card, either.

I didn't try it to see how RT performance went.

--
David
gnome@hawaii.rr.com