Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 11 2011 - 20:49:14 EEST

2011/8/11 david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>:
> Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
>

>> An application that doesn't attend to the GUI may create
>> the impression that internals might be equally messed up.
>
> An application that has a slick, polished GUI full of 'eye candy' always
> makes me wonder that they put all their effort into the GUI,
> and the internals are all messed up.

That's the other extreme.
In my experience less spread, at least in the open software world.
In closed, commercial applications OTOH ...

> You need a balance. And the smaller the development team, the less is
> available to achieve that balance. So I'd rather have the team put its
> effort into making the engine run well rather than putting a custom paint
> job on it.

Agreed.

> My opinion about software architecture: every app should be written in two
> parts. The first is the back end that does all the real work, and comes
> complete with a documented API usable from as many other languages as
> possible. (If the API was usable from Java or Javascript, you could even
> have a web UI for the app.)
>
> The second is the front end, the UI. If the two
> parts are properly separated, you can have as many different UIs for the
> application as there are people who care to program a UI for it. So you can
> have a complex advanced UI for the experienced user with great domain
> knowledge, you can have a simple "Beginniners" UI (such as a 'Wizard" style
> UI) for the casual for first time user, you can have a text UI for blind or
> visually-challenged users, etc. You can even have the back end run on a
> completely different machine such as a server, and have the UI running on a
> client workstation; quite useful for such situations as a smartphone UI
> client that can tap the hardware of the backend for the heavy lifting.
>
> SuperCollider works like that. Seems like good futureproofing to me, without
> locking things into a particular language for the UI.

Sounds like a good approach :)

What may be the best cross-platform approach for UI <--> Backend communication ?
Sockets ? Shared mem. ? Which protocols ? D-bus ? Any recommendable C-libs ?

--
E.R.