Re: [LAU] there's a new salamander piano version in town.

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 17 2011 - 02:08:42 EEST

On 17/08/11 08:55, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Leigh Dyer's message of 2011-08-17 00:29:28 +0200:
>> On 17/08/11 07:05, alexander wrote:
>>> http://rytmenpinne.posterous.com/65930001 Follow my salamander drumkit
>>> progress ;)
>>
>> Awesome -- I'll be following your progress closely! I definitely like
>> the idea of having a few separate SFZ files, too, to help with mixing;
>> getting separate drum outputs out of LinuxSampler is something that I've
>> had to hack my way to in the past with other kits.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Leigh
>
> Now I know what you mean by multisource, but I wonder: is
> sfz/linuxsampler not flexible enough to achieve this with a single sfz?

You can -- in my last project I had a LinuxSampler session where I'd
simply loaded the same SFZ five times, with each instance going to
separate JACK outputs. That meant that I had to split my MIDI data
across five separate tracks so that I could send the kick drum to one
set of outputs, the snare to another set, etc.

The other thing to consider is multiple mics. My scenario above is
simplified a bit, because I actually had *ten* LinuxSampler instances --
the kit I was using came with close-mic and room-mic recordings, so I
set up an instance of each for each drum so that I could balance the
levels between the two versions independently for each drum.

Having multiple SFZ files available doesn't instantly solve these sorts
of issues, but it does give you some options around how to handle them.

Thanks
Leigh