Re: [LAU] setting up hardware priority

From: Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 17 2011 - 12:04:01 EEST

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Renato" <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
> $ lspci -v |grep -i "usb controller" -A 2
> 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
> Controller #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
> --
> 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
> Controller #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
> --
> 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
> Controller #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
> --
> 00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
> Controller #4 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
> --
> 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI
> Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
>

> and 4 physical USB ports on my laptop, but whichever I plug the
> soundcard into,
> it's allways seen on the 1d.7 controller, which seems to be the only
> USB2 and of
> course the one with the highest IRQ. However, when I try plugging in
> a USB bluetooth
> dongle in different physical ports, it's seen on different
> Controllers by dmesg. So with
> the dongle I have actually found which physical port is the 1d.3,
> which is the one
> with the lowest IRQ, but when I attach the soundcard to it dmesg
> reports
> it on 1d.7. How's that possible?
>
> BTW is it possible to reassign IRQ somehow on a laptop? As I said
> previously
> the IRQ 16 seems to be shared by the video card, and I read that's
> not good.
>
> thanks again to everyone for help so far,
> renato

I see that 00:1d.7 is USB2. The others are USB. The kernel seems to pick
up the fastest controller for the soundcard.

Maybe you can plug things in the USB ports, see which one goes where
and when only the 1d.3 is free you plug the soundcard.
Hackish, but may work. (Or not.)

There are surely ways to force the kernel to use this or that USB
controller for one given device, but I don't know how, sorry...
maybe with some udev configuration stuff if you use that beast?