Re: [LAU] buying a new laptop

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 31 2011 - 10:08:54 EEST

Atte André Jensen wrote:

> Options (I can think of):
>
> I saw a secondhand ThinkPad X61s (dual-core 1.6Ghz, 3Gb ram, 12"
> display) from a well known online shop I trust and used many times
> (bought my current laptop there). There's 6 months warrenty, and my
> general impression with ThinkPads is that they have good build quality,
> it's the only laptop I would consider buying used. It has firewire so...

I hear very good things about ThinkPads. They seem to be quite durable
and perform well. You should check to see if its Firewire chipset has
Linux support, though.

> Go the netbook route. I'm at a loss here, all these new processors, both
> the i-series and the atom (N-series), I have no idea how well they
> perform. I tried a few from friends, and they seem fast enough. Anyone
> here making music on a netbook? This would most certainly mean I would
> have to get a usb soundcard, hmmm :-(

My wife has a System76 netbook. All of their hardware works with Linux,
they sell them with Ubuntu 11.04 installed.

I've never seen a netbook with Firewire, though, I kind of doubt you're
going to find any. I'd go with the Thinkpad if the built-in Firewire is
supported by Linux. If the builtin FW isn't supported, you might be able
to use a Firewire expansion card in the Thinkpad's slot.

--
David
gnome@hawaii.rr.com