Re: [LAU] buying a new laptop

From: tee <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 02 2011 - 19:36:41 EEST

On 31/08/2011 09:32, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> On 08/31/2011 09:08 AM, david wrote:
>
>> I've never seen a netbook with Firewire, though, I kind of doubt you're
>> going to find any. I'd go with the Thinkpad if the built-in Firewire is
>> supported by Linux. If the builtin FW isn't supported, you might be able
>> to use a Firewire expansion card in the Thinkpad's slot.
>
> I called the company, that has the Thinkpad X61s for sale. He couldn't
> say anything about the firewire chip (and google didn't know), but my
> gut feeling tells me it's gonna work, otherwise I have 2 weeks to return
> it if there's any problems...

i have one of these boxes running nicely with debian.
as i do not using firewire much i cannot say much more than that it
worked when i tested it after buying.
lspci says
05:00.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
(rev 04)

i can quite recommend this box and thinkpads in general,
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X61s etc. has an exhaustive list
of hardware built into these boxes.

hth,

tee