Re: [LAU] Alternative to audacity for simple non-jack recording?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 11:27:05 EEST

Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On 13 September 2011 10:46, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> as several people have noted, it would be much better to fiddle more
>>> with arecord first.
>> Maybe. My UCA-202 records fine using Audacity. I couldn't get arecord to
>> record anything from it, but I wasn't really trying that hard. When I try to
>> record using JACK, JACK fails to start up, reporting something about an
>> impossible sample size.
>>
>> My feeling based on the original poster's info is that his device is only
>> marginally supported by ALSA.
>>
> Indeed, it is probably the cheapest thing available. But contrary to
> your experience, I still couldn't get audacity to work, but arecord
> worked just fine. That's probably some mismatch on what kind of
> quality audio audacity is expecting though, and the same is probably
> true of your device.

Mine works with Audacity with no problems. I don't know if it works with
arecord - didn't put the time into figuring out arecord's command line
options to find it out. While JACK just barfs. Hard to figure, why JACK
and ALSA work fine for output through it, but not input, while Audacity
works fine for both input and output.

Anyway, this is a Lenny system, planning to upgrade it to a Sid system.
That will bring in newer ALSA and JACK, so if it's an issue buried in
ALSA or JACK, perhaps it will be fixed.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden