[LAU] [OT] Fedora installation problem

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 13:43:14 EEST

Greetings,

Hopefully someone here has a similar setup and can help me out.

Yesterday I installed a nice new Seagate 1T drive in my main machine. No
problems with the physical installation, and the BIOS recognizes the
drive. Next I installed Fedora 14 (x86_64) on the new drive. Again, no
problems with the actual installation. On reboot my troubles started.

I already have a system on this machine, an ancient 64 Studio 2.1 that
works beautifully. Alas, it's very old, hence the second drive and new
install. The old system is on /dev/sda1, with a swap at /dev/sda5. The
new disk is /dev/sdb, and the new system is on /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2.
On reboot the machine went directly to the old grub menu for 64 Studio,
which had no entry for Fedora.

Before going further, I should note that I can't even mount the new disk
while in 64 Studio. The older system doesn't recognize ext4 file
systems, so I can't access the second drive.

Okay, back to the boot. I used AV Linux to access the new drive and
copied its grub entry to the old grub. Now when I boot I can see and
select the Fedora entry, but I receive errors whether I attempt the boot
from sdb1(hd1,0) or sdb2 (hd1,1). Sorry, I don't remember the error
numbers, I'll get them and send them if needed. The installation media
was without checksum errors, so the installed system should be ready to
go. I just can't figure out how to boot into it from my existing menu.

So my questions are: How can I get this machine to recognize the new
installation ? Do I need to re-install and manually configure grub ? Is
the 64 Studio boot loader simply too old to handle the new configuration
? The new grub menu.lst include a line "boot=/dev/sdb" but it appears to
mean nothing to the older grub.

I've pasted what I think are the relevant contents of the 64 Studio
menu.lst at the end of this message, in case anyone cares to investigate
and advise. I don't mind re-installing if necessary, but it would be
nice to avoid that expenditure of time. Suggestions for fixing would be
much appreciated. :)

Best,

dp

-------------------- begin 64 Studio grub menu.lst -----------------------

title 64 Studio, kernel 2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro
vga=771 splash=silent
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64
savedefault

title 64 Studio, kernel 2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64 (single-user mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro
vga=771 splash=silent single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64
savedefault

------------------- the new addition ------------------

# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
# initrd /initrd-[generic-]version.img

# boot=/dev/sdb
# default=0
# timeout=0
# splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
# hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.35.6-45.fc14.x86_64)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.x86_64 ro
root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rd_LVM_LV=VolGroup/lv_root
rd_LVM_LV=VolGroup/lv_swap rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
        initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.x86_64.img