Re: [LAU] [OT] Fedora installation problem

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 15 2011 - 00:26:01 EEST

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 05:04:33PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:

> I have a quick question: When the installer prompts for a mount point (/
> or /root or /boot or /home etc), is there any particular reason to
> choose one over another ? Or does it not matter during a simple
> installation ?

(hoping Andreas will say more or less the same :-)

That's a strange question - if you create multiple partitions
that is usually because you have a particular use (and hence
mount point) in mind for each of them.

You need at least /boot (100M, I always use a conservative
ext2 for that), and /. A separate /home partition allows you
to install a completely new system later without touching
any home dirs - rather essential on a multi-user system
but quite practical on a personal one as well. I always
create a separate /audio partitions as well (for audio
files and ardour sessions). If you have a second disk
that's where that one should go of course.

You mentioned Arch. I switched to Arch two years ago,
coming from first Suse and then Fedora. The first time
can be intimidating, but there's a lot of good docs,
you will learn at lot, and end up feeling back in
control of your system. I'm admin for 12 Arch systems
now, and I never looked back.

--
FA