[LAU] JACK clients at different period sizes

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 15 2011 - 01:48:39 EEST

Hi,

I have a medium-sized Ardour session with a couple of plugins on most
tracks, in which I'd like to record some additional tracks. Due to the
number of tracks and plugins, it's not possible to run Ardour/JACK at
very low latencies.

The same machine (and the same sound cards) is also used for monitoring
for the whole band, using a huge instance of JackMix. This needs to be
run with as little latency as possible (128 frames per period, tops).

How can I solve this dilemma? Ardour's latency doesn't really matter to
me, as long as newly recorded regions are properly aligned with existing
material.

It might also be an option to run Ardour on a different machine via
netjack, but as far as I can see the period size of a netjack slave is
tied to that of the netjack master. It also seems doubtful that Ardour
would be able to do correct latency compensation in this scenario...

Any suggestions? Is there any way to run run a second, high-latency JACK
server piggy-back on a low-latency server?

Thanks,

Dominic