Re: [LAU] OT: printers

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 15 2011 - 04:56:07 EEST

On 14 September 2011 at 18:35, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> That said. Is there no-one who will rid the world of printers
> that suck, and whose cartridges cost more than the printer?
>
> (Also, works with CUPS on Linux, in such a way that it actually
> presents useful ERROR MESSAGES, instead of just unhelpfully
> blinking a light over and over with no details as to what
> exactly is wrong?)
>
> I figured I'd ask this group.

I had the same issue. About 6 months ago I got a Brother
MFC-8480DN from Costco. The toner cartridge it comes with is
supposed to be good for 50k pages. The unit prints in b/w but
scans in color. Scanning works with [X]SANE. Scanning works
over Ethernet. Printing can work over Ethernet or parallel port
and I think USB too. It's also a fine copier and fax machine.

I grabbed the easy to find Brother drives free from their site.
They installed just fine. These are brmfcfaxcups, brscan-skey,
and brscan3. All that cooperates just fine with CUPS. I can't
tell you about error message usefulness as I've never had one.

I have two friends who got the color version of this unit.
Neither one survived a full year, only about 11 months. Another
friend of mine has a unit like mine, but older, that's never had
any trouble in the years he's had it.

G'luck....

--
Kevin