Re: [LAU] OT: printers

From: Stephen Stubbs <theother1510@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 15 2011 - 05:29:16 EEST

On 9/14/2011 8:35 PM, Ken Restivo wrote:
> Does such a mythical beast as an affordable, reliable printer whose cartridges don't cost more than the printer, really not exist?
>
> (Also, works with CUPS on Linux, in such a way that it actually presents useful ERROR MESSAGES, instead of just unhelpfully blinking a light over and over with no details as to what exactly is wrong?)

I use an HP LaserJet 6L, circa 1996, black only print, 600dpi. It uses
the C3906A cartridge that costs around $35 including shipping (in the
USA) from 4InkJets in Paramount, California. I may go through 1
cartridge every 2 years or so. Like you, I don't print very much.

When it comes to hardware peripherals, I look to HP (Hewlett-Packard)
first. I've always been able to download the product manual from the HP
site for any of their discounted products.

The LaserJet6L works fine with Linux Fedora 12 and Windows 7.

Unfortunately, the LaserJet6L doesn't quite meet your requirement that
the cartridges don't cost more than the printer. I found the LaserJet6L
beside a trash dumpster around 7 years ago. $0 cost to purchase the
printer. GRIN.

It has a Centronics printer port on the LaserJet6L. I bought a HP
jetdirect 170x external print server for ethernet connection. This
allowed me to connect the LaserJet6L to my home network ethernet
router. Thus the LaserJet6L is my network printer. Now I don't have to
worry about laptops or the newer motherboards not having a Centronics
printer port.

Check out Ebay or other internet marketplaces. The old HP equipment was
built to last.

Good Luck,
Stephen.