Re: [LAU] OT: printers

From: sevol <sevols.ear@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2011 - 06:02:58 EEST

On 9/15/11, Luke Peterson <luke.peterson@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 6:25 AM, immanuel litzroth <ilitzroth@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM, <maex@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> is this now, a how to equip my computer list?
>>>
>>> No, we eventually plan to use the printers to make music -- bear with
>>> us.
>> Immanuel
>>

> In that case, dot matrix is your best bet:
>
> http://youtu.be/Ht96HJ01SE4
>
> Rock Lobster and The Beautiful People, covered by robots of the same user's
> creation, are musically cleaner, but this is the best demonstration of the
> dot matrix "vocalist."
>
> -----
> Luke Peterson

Someone I knew years back had upgraded their printer & gave me an HP
LazerJet 5L. Handy when I need a print out (which isn't often - never
had to replace the cartridge.)

But for sound, the dot matrix is in the pocket. [the user] created
Symphony #2 for Dot Matrix Printers near the end of the last century .
Just revisited after not hearing it for a long time - still sounds
excellent. Originally I think, 14 or so different dot matrix printers
were used, connected to an assortment of old computers all routed to a
file server.

You can get a feel from this (c. 13MB):
http://www.theuser.org/dotmatrix/zqt/symphony.qt

Googling, it seems they dusted things off & performed again last year:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/197520/dot_matrix_printers_make_music_at_mutek_2010.html

-s