Re: [LAU] lowest usable latency from a USB 1 device?

From: Colin Fletcher <colin.m.fletcher@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 19 2011 - 13:02:41 EEST

On 16/09/11 18:46, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Atte André Jensen<atte@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On 09/16/2011 07:33 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> if you can run a USB 1 class compliant audio device
>>
>> And how do I figure out if the device is usb *1* class compliant?
>
> actually, it almost doesn't matter because almost all of the USB audio
> devices that work on linux are USB1; even if you have a USB2 device,
> i'd be interested in hearing about that too (assuming it works with
> linux).

I have an Edirol UA-1000: it was one of the first USB2 audio devices
made, and has its own kernel driver (common with the Edirol UA-101,
which superceded it). AFAIK it's not class compliant with either USB1 or
USB2. It has 12 inputs and 10 outputs.

jackd runs very nicely with:

/usr/bin/jackd -P89 -t2000 -dalsa -r44100 -p256 -n2 -D -Chw:UA1000
-Phw:UA1000 -zs -I110 -O110

Hardware is a Dell Vostro 1520 laptop, Core2 Duo 2.4 GHz P8600.

Other software is Ubuntu 10.04, vanilla kernel from kernel.org
(currently 3.0.4), and jack1 from svn.

I get the occasional xrun if I forget to disable CPU frequency scaling
and the DSP load gets high, but otherwise it goes all day xrun free with
these settings.

Colin.