Re: [LAU] ubuntu vs arch

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2011 - 13:32:30 EEST

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 2:32 AM, Atte André Jensen <atte@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> A friend of mine who would like to use his new UA-25EX with ubuntu on his (i
> think) x200 (at least it's a 2.4Ghz dualcore 64 bit thinkpad with 6 or so
> gigs of ram). A very nice machine, that should be great for setting up a
> linux DAW. However I cannot make it run without x-runs (did the usual
> limits.conf dance). Whenever a window is dragged, or there's disk activity
> or something like that there's an x-run.

you will likely need to check into the video driver that is in use.
although my 6 core system isn't as reliable as i'd like it to be,
things got a LOT better on the xrun front after i switched from the
nouveau driver to the proprietary nvidia one.

i used to be able to induce xruns by just moving the mouse pointer
from one monitor to another. now it takes a lot more than that. mostly
:(