Re: [LAU] VC and jack

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 25 2011 - 22:27:49 EEST

On Sunday 25 September 2011 19:50:22 Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> > I don't buy that. Only clients that need the new port type would have
> > to support it. You could as well say that MIDI ports confuse pure
> > audio clients - it's just not true.
>
> some clients will look for PortIsPhysical. they do this with MIDI
> already. they then try to connect to ports of the wrong type. JACK
> prevents this. the clients remain disconnected.

That way you punish developers (and force them to use misleading and possibly
dangerous kludges) of certain apps for the mistakes done by other developers
in other apps.

I think destroying a subwoofer because someone wrongly connected a VC-port to
his main out is more ugly then telling some developer that its wrong to just
connect to the first hw-port regardless of its type.
Actually these apps would still not be allowed to connect if the want to
connect their audio-output to the first hw-vc-port the same as if they wanted
to connect to the first midi-port...

> sure, they shouldn't auto-connect in this way. but then, people
> shouldn't kill each other either.

I wanted to do a real-world example of forbidding cars, but that would
probably not be political correct.

Have a nice week,

Arnold