Re: [LAU] Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 55, Issue 29

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2011 - 01:01:20 EEST

On 09/28/2011 02:30 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I'm using a mix of Squeezy aka stable aka 6.0 and Wheezy aka testing aka
> 7.0 and self build stuff, such as Jack2, ALSA and the kernel. Most
> packages are from testing.

My system is very similar. there's rarely things that break, but
aptitude does an amazing job.

> It's stable, there are just some dependency
> issues regarding do development packages, that are needed to compile
> Ardour3 with videotimeline.

There's no additional dependencies for the videotimeline branch.
In the past you needed boost-regex but recent libardour also uses it.

As for compiling icsd (the video-server): There's lots of dependencies,
most notably ffmpeg, but all are in debian. Nevertheless I suggest to
just use the statically linked binary.

> And well, I'll keep the nv driver (guess
> it's the only stuff from stable), even while using the proprietary at
> the moment. I'm working on getting my mix consistent and I'm very near
> to it, but still didn't compile Ardour3 with videotimeline. Anyway, it's
> brave to use unstable aka Sid. I suspect that there will be no
> advantages regarding to audio and video, but I might be wrong. Perhaps
> you should think of using testing instead. Perhaps you already do this
> parallel to using Sid ;).

I've pinned priorities:
  wheezy/testing:700; sid/unstable:500, squeeze/stable:300

> OT: Robin, what's the state of videotimeline for Ardour3?

works for me. We'll look into merging it upstream after the 3.0 release.

> Do I need to
> use an older version of Ardour3? Last time I tried, I had issues
> compiling it and didn't follow your advice to compile it from, IIRC git
> instead of svn.

yes. git is your friend.
http://rg42.org/wiki/a3vtl#source_build_instructions

have fun,