Re: [LAU] [Ardour-Users] Portable non-firewire interface for Linux laptop w/ at least 8 mic pres?

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 01 2011 - 01:17:36 EEST

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 16:35 +0100, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> Hey Paul,
>
> Linux Audio User is probably a more appropriate place to ask, as your
> question isn't really Ardour specific.
>
> Do you need low-latencies? If your *only* recording live gigs, then
> you can get away with huge latencies no problem...
> If you want low-latency 8 channel I/O, you're pretty much going to
> have to stay away from USB gear, there isn't enough bandwidth there to
> provide high sample-rate multiple channel audio.
>
> I will advise the PCMCIA / ExpressCard route with a firewire
> soundcard. My experiences with the Echo cards is fantastic, and they
> have an 8 channel-with pre's unit. Its definatly *not* budget
> though...
> http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFirePre8/index.php
>
> Good luck, -Harry
>
> PS: Took the liberty to also sent this to the LAU list
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Paul Winkler <slinkp@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
> I want at least 8 preamps built-in (convenience and cost
> trumps
> quality for me).

    I finally quit messing around with the direct to computer stuff.
I've got 2 Zoom R16s (record 8 tracks each at 24 bit/44.1KHz). When we
play I run direct outs from the board to the ZOOMs and then dump the
wave files to my Linux box. Read the tracks into Ardour, mix them down
then run them through JAMin. A hell of a lot easier than anything I've
ever used. The results are posted here :
http://www.thecfband.com/Music/Music.html

    Anybody want to buy a slightly used Tascam US-1641 ;-)