Re: [LAU] Managing MIDI channels

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 01 2011 - 17:53:40 EEST

On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 04:02:11PM +0200, Kevin Thoma wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I've been doing home recording on my Ubuntu Studio for a while now but I've
> only recently delved into MIDI. I'm also playing keyboards for a band, and
> have just started to use LinuxSampler on stage, so I can play the very nice
> "Maestro Concert Grand v2" SoundFont. The problem: I need to switch between
> LinuxSampler and a couple of programs from my hardware synthesizer (which is
> the keyboard I'm playing) while playing, sometimes during a song.
>
> The connections are as follows: The keyboard/synthesizer connects via MIDI
> to my laptop running LinuxSampler and the Concert Grand. The
> keyboard/synthesizer is also connected via audio (two 1/4 inch jacks for
> stereo) to a USB audio Interface on my laptop. That interface then outputs a
> stereo signal (again, two 1/4 inch jacks) to the mixing console and the PA
> system.
>
> What I'd like to do is have the Concert Grand on LinuxSampler be "channel 1"
> and, say, the "Rhodes" program on my synthesizer be "channel 2". Then I
> would just change the output channel of the keyboard when I want to change
> between the two. Is there any way to manage the MIDI channels this way? I've
> tried a couple of MIDI managing tools (forgetting the names right now...)
> but haven gotten it to work.

Unless I'm missing something, all you'd need to do is set up
Linuxsampler to use channel 1 and your HW synthesiser to use
channel 2. In case the latter can't be changed, it should at
least be possible to set it to single channel, and then you
can still select a different one for Linuxsampler. You don't
need any MIDI management tools.

--
FA